During the visit:
- A number of key improvement areas were identified relating to energy (electric and thermal) and water use on site and
- An environmental improvement plan was put in place based on this assessment.
Improvements to date
A diesel fired steam boiler used in the production process was prioritised for investigation as it was a significant energy user.
Improvements of up to 10% in efficiency were reached
saving over 10,200 litres of diesel fuel annually.
A number of key projects are underway at Shellfish Ireland including:
- The installation of an online electricity monitoring and targeting system to identify key electrical loads and allow the company to focus on the high energy users throughout the site.
- An analysis of the effect of upgrading the existing refrigeration plant to a more energy efficient system. It is hoped this will be completed in the near future.
- Research into the potential for reduced water consumption by reusing water from the production process with expected savings of up to 30% on current water use.