New UK Import Controls from 01 October 2021
On 01 October, the UK will introduce new import controls on certain categories of EU goods, including seafood. These changes will impact seafood businesses trading with or through the UK (excluding Northern Ireland) as each business will, in addition to the necessary customs formalities, need to comply with a number of new UK requirements.
Requirements and action to be taken is detailed here.
Register for Import of products, animals, food and feed system (IPAFFS)
To register for IPAFFS you will need the following:
- A UK Government gateway ID. You need to register on HRMC to receive a UK government gateway ID.
- To decide who is the Responsible person. The Responsible Person must be UK-based and is responsible for obtaining all necessary documentation from the Irish exporter and uploading this to the IPAFFS system.
Shipments of Products of Animal Origin (POAO) to or transiting through the UK (excluding Northern Ireland) require the following:
- An original Health Certificate be given to the driver transporting the consignment. Health Certificates will only be issued for products dispatched from SFPA-approved establishments.
- An original Health Certificate be given to the driver transporting the consignment
- An electronic version of the Health Certificate document is sent to your UK import licensee (excluding Northern Ireland)
- A Responsible Person to provide pre-notification through the UK’s Import of products, animals, food and feed system (IPAFFS), 24 hours before the shipment arrives in the UK (excluding northern Ireland).
- All other documentation relating to the export of fish (i.e. catch certificates and processing certificates) is in place for the consignment
- To transit through the UK into France – Pre-notification on Traces NT 24 hours before the shipment arrives in France
The UK Department of the Environment Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) will carry out a series of inspections on Products of Animal Origin (POAO) shipments.
From 1 October 2021, imports of frozen meat preparations have temperature restrictions. It is not clear if this will cover fish or fish products at this time.