The Seafood R&D Programme provides a means for industry to submit relevant R&D project proposals to be undertaken by BIM for the benefit of the sector as a whole.
Approved projects will be administered by BIM on behalf of industry and carried out by Research Performing Organisations (RPOs).
The key objectives of this programme are:
- To assist the seafood sector and entrepreneurs in researching, developing and testing new technologies, products and platforms which lead to increased values for the sector
- To deepen industry’s R&D base
- To enable SMEs access expertise in innovation to ensure long-term sustainability
- To yield positive value for state investment in terms of environmental sustainability, viable businesses and employment
Projects to include (see Guidelines for further information):
- Knowledge transfer and mapping of marine and aquaculture ingredient opportunities.
- Development of techno-functional and health ingredients from marine and aquaculture processing by-products, underutilised species and seaweeds.
- Dietary intervention trials.
- Other marine projects and applications where a strong business case and/or market need for marine and aquaculture R&D are evident.
Seafood businesses and public bodies are invited to submit project proposals. Priority will be given to projects that take account of the raw material supply, describe the technical requirements and define the market opportunity. Projects must demonstrate the common benefit of the sector.
Project submissions must comply with Food Wise 2025 and EMFF, Seafood Processing Development Measure 2014-2020. For public projects, relevant outputs will be made publicly available.
BIM reserves the right to not approve projects which do not comply with BIM strategy, EMFF legislation or where insufficient funds are available.
Support Rates and Project Duration
For approved projects, third party Research Performing Organisation (RPO) costs will be 100% funded up to a maximum of €150,000 per project.
BIM envisage that projects will have clear outcomes and as a guideline would be completed within a 12 month period.
How to apply
- Save the BIM Seafood R&D Programme Project Proposal Form (pdf 598Kb)
- Complete the form saving the changes
- Email the completed form to R&DProgramme@bim.ie
or post the form to BIM.
Post to: Business Development and Innovation Division, BIM, Crofton Road, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin.