Locate and survey the seed mussel beds around the Irish coast and report the location and description of the beds on a seasonal basis when the seed is suitable for transplanting.
The survey work is carried on our purpose built inshore Aquaculture Survey vessel the MV T’Burke.
The M.V. T’Burke has a working crew of two
The vessel is kitted with a full range of survey equipment including:
- seabed classification system, Roxann GD-S
- side scan sonar
- two remote operated vehicles (ROV) LBV 150 equipped with cameras
- shellfish dredges
- underwater cameras and ROVs and
- a dive platform.
The vessel also has a sediment grab
Seeing the benefits:
- The Irish Bottom Grown Mussel industry is provided with current information on the location and description of the beds which assists them to source juvenile mussels for their farms
- The result of our survey work is also shared with the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food and helps to inform regulation designed to ensure the sustainable management of the resource.
Visit bit.ly/1phEcjn to view in pictures the latest seed mussel survey evolution on the South East Coast